The UK's independent music sector produces some of the most exciting and popular music in the World, and makes a huge contribution to the country's economy.
AIM's 800+ members span every musical genre and every corner of the UK. The range from the largest and most respected independent music companies in the World, to bands and artists releasing their own music for the first time. They are a vibrant, entrepreneurial and diverse bunch who have one thing in common: the music comes first.
AIM oversees a sector with an undoubted lead in A&R. Artists signed to member labels have claimed five of the last seven Mercury Music Prizes and regularly account for 30% of all UK artist album awards (silver, gold, platinum).
To learn more about some of AIM's members, incuding Cherry Red, Jungle Records, Cooking Vinyl and Bella Union, visit the Cherry Red TV website.
The Independents In Numbers
- AIM has over 800 independent label members in the UK.
- Over 4000 independent labels across Europe are represented by Impala.
- 99% of music businesses are micro, small or medium sized enterprises – “the independents”.
- The music sector consists of thousands of independents and 4 multinationals – “the majors”.
- The independents are the innovators and early adopters, discovering new talent and producing 80% of all new releases.
- The collective market share of the independents is nearly 20%.
(Figures provided by Impala - www.impalasite.org)
Artists signed to AIM member labels include:
Adele, Amadou & Miriam, Animal Collective, Arctic Monkeys, Basement Jaxx, Battles, Big Pink, Billy Bragg, Bjork, Black Kids, Bloc Party, Bon Iver, Coldcut, Darwin Deez, Does It offend You Yeah, Eva Cassidy, Fleet Foxes, Franz Ferdinand, Friendly Fires, Good Shoes, Grizzly Bear, Groove Armada, Infadels, Jack Penate, Jarvis Cocker, Jay Sean, Jose Gonzalez, Justice, Killing Joke, Katie Melua, Lostprophets, M.I.A., Maximo Park, Midlake, Mr. Scruff, Nitin Sawnhey, Pete & the Pirates, Peter Bjorn and John, Radiohead, Reverend And The Makers, Rogrigo Y Gabriela, Roots Manuva, Royksopp, Sufjan Stevens, Super Furry Animals, The Cribs, The Futureheads, The Prodigy, The Raconteurs, The Strokes, The White Stripes, Underworld, Wild Beasts, Vampire Weekend, The XX and thousands of others.
Search our Members Directory to find out more about our members.