Moving from strength to strength, AIM are excited to welcome back last year’s exceptional hosts for the fifth annual celebration of independent talent and industry. Leading the presentation of 16 awards, XFM’s long term champion of new music John Kennedy will be joined by Radio 1’s Alice Levine.
‘Absolutely delighted to be co-hosting the AIM Awards again this year with Alice Levine.” said John Kennedy “It’s a great celebration of the ever inspiring work of Independent labels and it’s an honour to be a part of it. Last year’s Awards night was such a lot of fun so I’m really looking forward to this year’s!”
Comprised of over 850 members, from small start-ups to some of the largest, most respected labels in the world, the AIM community continues to define itself as the beating heart of the UK record industry, a fitting home for an award ceremony intent on highlighting the passion, hard work and dedication of all those working for independent success.
Awards organiser Lara Baker highlighted the re-emergence of some key genres through independent labels over the last year, “Independent labels have proven once again their undoubted lead in A&R in the last 12 months. From grime, to metal, folk and dubstep, it’s the indies who are leading the field in creativity, innovation and talent. We can’t wait to celebrate this year’s talent and honour the icons of our sector on September 8th.”
Last years winners included London Grammar, Hyperdub Records, dan le sac VS Scroobius Pip and Arctic Monkeys, who picked up the coveted Independent Album of The Year award for their fifth studio album ‘AM’ released on Domino, prompting a double celebration, as Domino collected the sought after Independent Label of the year award.
Long-serving music journalist and The Quietus Editor John Doran took home a well-deserved Indie Champion prize, while DJ, producer, record label owner and champion of electronic music Richie Hawtin was honoured with the Outstanding Contribution To Music Award.
The revered Pioneer Award went to Martin Mills, founder and chairman of The Beggars Group. A worthy winner with over four decades of visionary work to his name, Martin Mills used his acceptance speech as an opportunity to surprise AIM Chairman and CEO Alison Wenham with the presentation of a Special Recognition Award, celebrating 15 years of AIM.
Shining a spotlight on the abundant success stories of 2015, the media partners and leading sponsors joining forces to deliver this year’s event include; Disc Manufacturing Services, XFM, Amazon Music, DIY, CI, Vevo, Jack Daniel’s, Songkick, Spotify, Believe Digital, The Orchard, Music Week and AIF.
The awards are voted for by an expert panel of judges from across the media and music industry, with representatives from; Radio 1 and 1Xtra, 6Music, XFM, Drowned In Sound, The Quietus, Mixmag, The Independent, Kerrang!, Metal Hammer, DIY and FACT Magazine.
The judging panel for the AIM Awards 2015 is:
- Sean Adams (DrownedInSound)
- Tom Robinson (BBC 6music)
- Luke Turner (The Quietus)
- Pete Paphides (Journalist)
- Ralph Moore (Mixmag)
- Ryan Newman (BBC 1Xtra)
- Elisa Bray (The Independent)
- John Kennedy (XFM)
- DJ Target (1Xtra)
- Danielle Perry (XFM)
- Huw Stephens (BBC R1)
- Steve Lamacq (BBC 6Music)
- Jen Walker (Kerrang!)
- Alexander Milas (Metal Hammer)
- Joe Muggs (Journalist)
- Alice Levine (BBC R1)
- Mistajam (BBC 1Xtra)
- Mike Walsh (XFM)
- Alex Baker (Kerrang! Radio)
- Dan P Carter (BBC Radio 1)
- Chal Ravens (FACT Magazine)
- Camilla Pia (BBC 6Music)
Categories for the 2015 Awards:
- Best Small label (in association with Disc Manufacturing Services)
- Best ‘Difficult’ Second Album (in association with XFM)
- Special Catalogue Release of the Year (in association with Amazon Music)
- Hardest Working Band or Artist
- Golden Welly Award for Best Independent Festival (voted for by readers of DIY)
- Independent Breakthrough of the Year
- Indie Champion Award (in association with CI)
- Independent Video of the Year (in association with Vevo)
- Best Live Act (in association with Jack Daniel’s, voted for by visitors to Songkick)
- Independent Track of the Year (in association with Spotify)
- Innovator Award
- Independent Album of the Year
- PPL Award For Most Played New Independent Act
- Independent Label of the Year (in association with Believe Digital)
- Outstanding Contribution to Music
- Pioneer Award (in association with The Orchard)
Full details at www.musicindie.com/awards.
For details of sponsorship opportunities, contact email@example.com.